Nominations are closed for this year's publication awards.
The Society for Music Theory awards recognition for significant contributions to music theory, analysis, or history of theory.
Eligibility extends to books and articles in English, published between January 1 and December 31 for three years prior to the year of the award. Dissertations are ineligible.
- The Wallace Berry Award is given for a distinguished book by an author of any age or career stage.
- The Outstanding Publication Award is given for a distinguished article by an author of any age or career stage.
- The Emerging Scholar Award (Article) is given for an article published no more than seven calendar years after the author’s receipt of the Ph.D. (or, in the case of someone who does not hold a Ph.D., before the author reaches the age of forty).
- The Emerging Scholar Award (Book) is given for a book published no more than ten calendar years after the author’s receipt of the Ph.D. (or, in the case of someone who does not hold a Ph.D., before the author reaches the age of forty).
- The Outstanding Multi-Author Collection is given for a distinguished multi-author collection.
- Citations of Special Merit are occasionally awarded for editions, translations, reference works, and other types of publications that are of extraordinary value to the discipline.
- The Presidential Award honors a publication focused on composers, performers, critics, theorists, or other music-related agents of BIPOC and other geographical, regional groups that have been historically underrepresented in the field of music theory in North America. The publication (an article, book, edited volume, or other scholarly entry) exemplifies the highest qualities of original work that brings cultural and social perspectives to bear on music analysis, interpretation, and their theoretical frameworks. Publications under consideration for this award are also eligible for other SMT Publication Awards.
This award is administered by the Publication Awards Committee. Although each award can be presented in a given year, the Publication Awards Committee, at its discretion, may choose not to present a given award in a particular year.
- Only current members of SMT may nominate a work for a Publication Award.
- All members of the society are encouraged to draw the Award Committee's attention to distinctive publications that are eligible for awards.
- Nominators should provide the complete bibliographic information for each nominated work.
- PDF files of nominated articles would be appreciated. Self-nominations are welcome.
The nomination portal is closed.