Theorists who belong to an ethnic minority (defined here on the basis of the majority of current SMT members) and who are citizens of, or are currently residing in, the US or Canada are invited to apply for Minority Travel Grants.
The SMT Committee on Race and Ethnicity administers the Minority Travel Grant to encourage diversity at the Annual Meetings of the SMT.
This grant is made possible in part by donations from the SMT-Forward campaign.
For a list of past Travel Grant winners since 2002, see the Past Recipients of SMT Travel Grants page.
- Applicants need not be SMT members.
- Preference will be given to students and junior faculty (in that order).
- Financial need and research interests within the field of music theory will be used to evaluate the applications.
- Only those who are citizens of, or are currently residing in, the US or Canada are eligible.
- Individuals who self-identify with a race or ethnicity other than 'White' are eligible to apply.
Typically up to 7 grants are made, with a maximum award of $400.
Applicants are asked to provide the following information whether submitting a grant application online or via PDF:
- name, address, telephone, e-mail, and academic affiliation
- purpose(s) for attending the conference; and
- a clear statement of research interests and their relation both to conference participation and the field of music theory in general.
- Applicants shall include a short curriculum vitae (no longer than two pages).
- Students must also submit a letter of support from one of their major professors. The professor should email the letter of support directly to SMT’s Executive Director.
- To apply for a travel grant, please fill out the online Travel Grant application form.
- For comments and inquiries, please email the Chair of the Committee on Race and Ethnicity.
September 10th is the deadline to apply for a 2021 Travel Grant Award.